15 Oct Your Week 3 assignment requires you to compare the characteristics of Renaissance art and modern art. To give you a head start on your assignment, complete the following: Read the
Week 2 Discussion – Renaissance Art vs. Modern Art
26 Unread replies27 Replies
Your Week 3 assignment requires you to compare the characteristics of Renaissance art and modern art. To give you a head start on your assignment, complete the following:
- Read the What Is Modern Art? assignment instructions and its associated scoring guide so that you understand what is expected of you. (See Week 3.)
- Select one of the Renaissance masterpieces and its artist that appeals to you from the National Gallery's Tour: Renaissance MasterpiecesLinks to an external site..
- Read the article, "What Are the Characteristics of Renaissance Art?Links to an external site." https://education.onehowto.com/article/what-are-the-characteristics-of-renaissance-art-12642.html
- Review the Renaissance and Modern Art Characteristics Chart [DOCX] Download Renaissance and Modern Art Characteristics Chart [DOCX], which summarizes the characteristics of Renaissance and modern art.
Please respond to the following in a post of 150 to 200 words:
- Post a screen shot of your chosen piece of Renaissance art.
- Explain why you selected this particular masterpiece.
- Identify three major characteristics of Renaissance art that seem most important to you (refer to the article and chart provided).
- Explain how the characteristics of Renaissance art that you selected are displayed in your chosen Renaissance masterpiece.
Renaissance and Modern Art Characteristics Chart
Renaissance Art Characteristics
Modern Art Characteristics
1. Renaissance artists used realism in their art. As much as possible they wanted their subjects to look like they do in real life.
2. While Renaissance artists focused on religious themes and subjects, they also focused on humanistic themes and subjects, emphasizing the worth of the individual. Many Renaissance artists painted domestic scenes and ordinary people engaging in everyday activities. When they did focus on religious subjects, they made them appear as real people with thoughts and emotions engaging in typical daily activities.
3. Renaissance artists focused on depicting anatomically correct bodies in their drawings and paintings.
4. Renaissance artists also emphasized perspective in their artwork to add dimension and depth to their work.
5. Renaissance artists also emphasized the use of light and shadows to draw attention to a specific aspect of a painting.
6. The world during the Renaissance was expanding. Renaissance artists began depicting some of these new discoveries (new lands, new people, etc.) in their art.
7. Many Renaissance artists were Italian and were influenced by classical Greek and Roman art, which they expressed in their art.
1. Rather than try to depict objects as realistically and naturally as possible, moderns artists, try to convey the idea, or message, of an object. Objects may be abstract. The artist may depict objects with unusual colors. The sky may appear as green rather than blue. Artists may juxtapose unusual objects next to each other.
2. Modern artists attempt to depict modern life in the form of landscapes, people, still lifes, etc. They also, however, attempt to show the emotional and psychological impact of a rapidly changing world on subjects.
3. The modern city became the subject of many modern artists. This is in large part due to the Industrial Age in which cities grew, new means of transportation became available, and people were able to move around the world more easily.
4. Modern artists, such as those of the Art Nouveau period, use natural and organic forms in their artwork.
5. Photography became more accessible and affordable to people. Artists capitalize on this invention and use this new art form to capture the world around them. Likewise, some modern artists paint from photographs rather than from real life, an option that didn’t exist for Renaissance artists.
Nidhi Nangia. 2020. What Are the Characteristics of Renaissance Art in oneHOWTO. https://education.onehowto.com/article/what-are-the-characteristics-of-renaissance-art-12642.html?print=1
Museum of Modern Art Learning. No date. What Is Modern Art? Late-19th-Century-Artists Broke With Tradition to Create Art for the Modern Age. https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/themes/what-is-modern-art/popular-culture/
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.