22 Jan Identify an example issue or problem in your clinical setting that could benefit from evidence-based practice
Write a response to the below discussion using the ABC approach:
a. Acknowledge the post.
b. Build upon the post by providing additional details, statistics, ideas, personal perspectives, or links to interesting, relevant articles.
c. Conclude with a question or new idea to further stimulate the discussion.
About 500 words
- Identify an example issue or problem in your clinical setting that could benefit from evidence-based practice. How do you know?
- I currently work in a perioperative setting. In this setting, a big focus is placed on surgical site infection prevention. This hypothetical discussion will focus on increased surgical site infections (SSI) in a specific specialty. We know surgical site infections are a growing problem, despite many efforts to decrease the risk. The National Healthcare Safety Network (2023, January), reports that there was a 3% increase in SSI standardized infection ratio in 2021 despite efforts to decrease this. Reportedly 75% of SSI deaths are also from site infection as well, costing $3.3 billion annually (National Healthcare Safety Network, 2023). Hypothetically, I would collect data at my facility and compare the surgical site infection rates among the several surgery departments we service.
- Describe the proposed data (real or hypothetical) from your clinical setting that supports your proposed issue or problem.
- The data (SSI rates) would tell me who has the greatest need for exploring better SSI prevention protocols. I would gather data first on each surgery service and see which service has the highest SSI rate. I would then explore current protocols and implementation of the surgical site prevention plans for that service.
- Include at least one evidence-based article that addresses your clinical issue or problem and cite your reference in APA format.
- See the reference list below
- Describe the significance of the article to your identified issue or problem.
- This article discusses the issue of SSI and costs to the healthcare system from increased mortality and length of stay for patients (National Healthcare Safety Network, 2023).
- This article provides the clinical practice guidelines updated from 1999 to 2017 for interventions addressing SSI (Todd, 2017).
- Describe at least one source of data used to establish the results in the article (e.g., survey tool, blood pressure outcomes, urinary output, kidney function, etc.)
- The data source for each of these articles are focusing on surgical site infection rates. Both articles also discuss data emphasizing the impact that SSIs have on healthcare costs, morbidity, and mortality.
National Healthcare Safety Network. (2023, January). Surgical site infection – centers for disease control and prevention. Surgical Site Infection (SSI). Retrieved January 18, 2023, from https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/pscmanual/9pscssicurrent.pdf
Todd, B. (2017). New CDC Guideline for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection. AJN, American Journal of Nursing, 117 (8), 17. doi: 10.1097/01.NAJ.0000521963.77728.c0.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.